E xperiencing ayahuasca can really be a life changing event. But it is important to emphasise some of the main mistakes people make when they consider ayahuasca as possible experience for them. There are stories of people who have found deep healing through it and changed their life and stories of people who lost their path totally through a wrong perception of ayahuaska, a perception filled with fantasy & imaginary illusions.
1. Ayahuasca is not something that works mechanically or by itself giving you ready made results. There are people thinking that they will drink ayahuasca and the plant/drink itself will do all the work. They just have to swallow it and the truth or the revelations of ayahuasca will sooner or later reach them. This is not the truth though. Your intention and readiness plays maybe the bigger role in the kind of result this experience will have on your being. If you want to acquire realisations and awakening through ayahuasca and not merely have an impressive experience for your mind you must understand that it can not happen to you mechanically because consciousness cannot awaken unconsciously (mechanically by the plant's influence alone)
2. Ayahuasca is not really only about a ritual of drinking it and then entering in a transcendental state communicating with the plant's spirit. In reality Ayahuasca is a spiritual path of self discovery including as one of it's main part fasting with tree and plant juices isolated inside the jungle. Its a path you need to dedicate yourself to. Of course not everyone is feeling the deep calling to follow this specific path to its fullest but at least it is more than necessary to be informed, have the full perspective and realize what it is all about before you decide anyway to try the experience.
3. It is necessary to have a deep sincere intention to abandon yourself to the Divine Power, letting your Higher Self to guide you. This ritual is meant to be for a higher spiritual purpose of self realization or healing and not for acquiring powers and knowledge for fulfilling some personality in you or some dream. If you will abandon yourself sincerely in the process having in you the consciousness and the will to do this for God or your Higher Self (whatever this may mean for you) the spirit of the plant can give you the Highest possible healing effect and awakening in you very big potential. It can be the quantum leap forward in your evolution that you were waiting for!
4. Find a indigenous shaman who is part of the tradition and is well recommended or one who you trust is sincere, serving the Highest Power and knows what he is doing. Many people hear that there is someone in their city who is doing ayahuasca and they are all excited to jump right there and taste the experience. Or the fact that he is a shaman or that he is an indigenous origin person is enough by itself guarantying that the experience or result will be "authentic". This is not enough. There are shamans and shamans and there are simple people who have tested it sometimes or many times without proper initiation or others who simply find ayahuasca and they are hipped to gather their friends and have a "unique mystical night". Of course finding the best shaman possible is not the most easy thing but don't take it lightly and allow yourself to follow the deepest part of your heart in this search for how, when and with whom to make the ritual. Let Ayahuasca itself to guide you!
5. Be ready for Transformation! Ayahuasca is not a fun thing to do in the weekend or something to try because you were always curious to see what it is. It is not merely an "experience". All these things of course exist in an ayahuasca ritual. It is an amazing experience after all. But don't think that you will forget it after a while. It opens a door to the subconscious mind. Be ready to enter a new path in your life after that, a path that will lead you more and more to the heart of your being and will have some very powerful results and very unique realizations included. How amazing!
...and a 6th bonus thing to know! by all means you should try it at least once in your life! Don't be afraid to experience something that it is the tradition of humans from thousands of years. let the conformity of your routine life and make a step into the true meaning of life! Who knows maybe some amazing new life is waiting for you for a long time now and you just have to decide to make a first step towards your true self. And ayahyasca can be one of the best first steps towards your truth! Blessings!